Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Web Artist Wednesday: Monster or Myth interview!

If you go looking for monsters you just might find them! David Felizarda Reel's characters learn this lesson the hard way in his webcomic, Monster or Myth.



1. For the poor souls not already reading, please give a brief synopsis of your comic.

Monster or Myth is the story of two friends, Lars and Herman. They have a show online where they try to find monsters and check the myth and facts about that monster. 
One day they find a monster, Pinto, who is not from our world. The world he came from is at war and he can't get back. With the help of Lars and Herman, Pinto succeeds to go back to his home and our two friends decide to join him and fight in the war.

2. What materials and/or software do you use?

The first few pages of the comic are done in a traditional way. Sketched with pencil, inked the lines with a pentel brush pen and after scanning it, I colored the page in Photoshop.
At the moment I work fully digital, I bought a Wacom Cintiq this year and God, do I love this machine!! I do my sketching and inks in Manga Studio and afterwards I color the page in Photoshop.
Only thing I still do on paper is the lay-outs of the pages, but that’s because I do it when I'm at work for most of the time. (please don't tell my boss)
I really like working digitally because it saves time, it's less messy and you can CTRL-Z the shit out of everything!

3. Are there any books, movies, toys, artists, or authors that have inspired or continue to inspire your comic?

Everything I see, hear and touch is inspiration. But as for comics, a big inspiration for me, and for this comic was Bone. I love the style, the atmosphere and the fact that it starts so cartoony but end up being such a big, dark story. I also like the comics of Doug TenNapel, these also inspired this comic.

4. Are any of your characters based on real people in your life?

No, not at all. The character of Herman is a bit of a "homage" to Dikke Herman (fat Herman). This was a character in the comic Urbanus, which I read a lot when I was a kid.

5. Are there any actors you know you would want to play or voice certain characters in a movie of your comic?

Hmmm, I never thought of this. I never thought of the comic being made in an animation. But if it should, I think Keenan Thompson would be great as Herman and David Schwimmer as Lars.

6. What songs would you like in a soundtrack of your comic?

Again, never thought of this. If I had to choose... 'You Look Familiar' by Team William -

7. What is your overall goal for your comic?

This comic for me is really just an exercise. I want to see if I can make a comic, if I can commit to drawing it until the end. And what better way to learn how to draw comics by making one.

8. How has managing a comic impacted your life?

A part from the fact that I'm even more at my desk than in front of the tv, not much. I have a wife, a litlle kid and another one in the oven, a job in the logistics department of a multinational (boo!) and I go to class every Saturday morning (to learn how to draw comics), so every bit of free time I can spare, I'm making the comic (and other ones, not online)
I just need to remember to update it. But I succeed in it for now, not one update missed since the comic launched.

9. What do you do to advertise your work?

Nothing much, I don't have any advertisement, I don't have a links-exchange thing with someone. I don't write much on forums.
All I did is register the comic on some sites like inkoutbreak, topwebcomics etcetera. I do have a Tumblr account. I post some art and pictures from time to time.

10. Web comics can be very time consuming and sometimes expensive to keep up. Often there is little reward in regards to money and sometimes public attention. Why do you do it?

I just love making comics, it's that plain and simple. If I would not put it on the web I would still be making comics.

I would be alone at my desk, when finishing a comic, I would print it, and then read it myself. No one would ever see it. (although it's not that big of a difference, I do not have many readers for now)

11. Got any other projects we should know about?

I am currently writing a graphic novel for younger readers. It's my thesis for the class I follow. (the one about comics)

It's about I young orphan boy who has to go live with his grandfather who is a magician. The boy starts to practice magic himself but all sorts of shenanigans happen.
I will post the progress on my tumblr account once I finished writing and start drawing it.

12. What advice would you give to aspiring creators?

Don't think, just do it. If you want to make comics, if you like making comics, If you love making comics, start making comics. Don't be afraid you will suck, or people will not like it. Just do what you love to do!
  (also don't compare yourself to the millions of genius artists out on the Internet, it's deadly)





Sweet! Thanks so much David. Looking forward to that graphic novel!

If you dig Monster or Myth you can show your love by up-voting the submission for this interview at Reddit Webcomics. Up-voting keeps Monster or Myth on the front page of the webcomic category longer which means more people get to see it!

Thanks as always for stopping by! Leave us a comment below to let us know what ya' think. Then begin your own monster hunt at Monster or Myth!

-Mat
evanyeti.com

If you would like to be interviewed about your web-comic send an email to evanyeti@yahoo.com titled "interview" with a link to your comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment