Thursday, March 8, 2012

Evan Yeti Toy!

If you've looked at the Evan Yeti concept art You've seen that I'm always sculpting Evan. It's a chance for me to better understand how he looks from any angle and helps me draw an otherwise completely two dimensional character. It has been my secret wish that eventually one of my sculpts would be professional enough to be moldable for a toy.

I love the Monster in my Pocket  toys that were one inch rubber figures of classic monsters by Matchbox.  With each sculpt I made Evan smaller and smaller hoping to mimic the size and feel of them. Eventually, I found that I have neither the tools or skill to make a figure that small. Not to mention the time it takes.

Luckily, I met Derek Miller of his self run Mental Malfunction Studio at last years Mid Ohio Con. I was blown away by his detailed busts of creatures of Greek Mythology and versatility of styles as he also sculpts his cartoony comical Cheeky Meenkey figures. I knew if anyone could pull off an Evan figure it was him!

Again, with luck Derek agreed to help and was kind enough to send us some work in progress pictures for a sneak peek! The top images are the drawings I gave him for reference and under that are the rough sculpt pics he sent. Be sure to check back to see how Evan is shaping up! And in the meantime check out some of Derek's finished works!

-Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment