Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Web Artist Wednesday: Space Slugs interview!


Hide the salt! Here come the Space Slugs! Creator Darrin Stephens talks about his trio of cosmic molluscs!



1. For the poor souls not already reading, please give a brief synopsis of your comic.

It offers a humorous glimpse into the lives of three space slugs spinning out of control on a rogue asteroid. Very loosely based on my on my three boys.

2. What materials and/or software do you use?

Photoshop and my Cintiq. I'm paperless baby!

3. Are there any books, movies, toys, artists, or authors that have inspired or continue to inspire your comic?

Man I'm a child of the 80s so,
Transformers
GI Joe
Thundercats
Jayce and the wheeled warriors. 
and any comics that I could find at my local 7-eleven back in the day. 

But nowadays its tough puppy, fish hooks, samurai jack, teen titans go! pretty much anything I can watch with my boys.

4. Are any of your characters based on real people in your life?

Oh yea very loosely based on my on my three boys 
Dakota(age 15) aka Rott - Oldest and the leader of the group, hot-headed, egomaniac. The glass is always half empty with him.
Kye(age 10) aka Gelb - Huge heart and not because he’s the biggest. A tad on the slow side, shy but the funny one of the group.
Kru(age 7) aka - Grunn The smallest and youngest of the 3. Endless supply of energy, always first in line to help.

5. Are there any actors you know you would want to play or voice certain characters in a movie of your comic?

Got to be my boys!

6. What songs would you like in a soundtrack of your comic?

Gimmie a soundtrack from the old Tom and Jerry cartoons.

7. What is your overall goal for your comic?

Down the road yea, ill have a book printed up. just so i can put it in my shelf and say hell yea i did that.

8. How has managing a comic impacted your life?

you know its weird, but i'm in a much better mood when im drawing the strip. Nothing feels better than uploading a strip to comicpress, it just feels like i've accomplished something great. granted its just a poorly written joke but I feel like I just wrote a novel!

9. What do you do to advertise your work?

Not a whole lot, really only social media
-twitter
-google+
-tumblr
I use reddit and digg and have some luck with them.

10. Web comics can be very time consuming and sometimes expensive to keep up. Often there is little reward in regards to money and sometimes public attention. Why do you do it?

It started as an exercise for me so I could draw every day. And years down the road when i'm old and grey and can't remember my name. I can pick up the book and hopefully get a good chuckle or even my boys can pick it up and say, "hey i remember when i did that!"

11. Got any other projects we should know about?

between my real job and family, I only have time for just one project and i'm doing a pretty piss poor job of updating that. HA!

12. What advice would you give to aspiring creators? 

SET GOALS!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for doing it Darrin! Three boys must be an endless supply of inspiration!

If you dig Space Slugs you can show your love by up-voting the submission for this interview at Reddit Webcomics. Up-voting keeps Space Slugs on the front page of the webcomic category longer which means more people get to see it! 

Thanks for reading! Drop us your opinion in the comments comments section below to let us know what you think. Then follow the slime trail to SpaceSlugs.com!

-Mat

If you would like to be interviewed about your web-comic send an email to evanyeti@yahoo.com titled "interview" with a link to your comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment