Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Web Artist Wednesday: Nightmare Pro Wrestling interview

It's good to have a werewolf in your corner! Creator Jon David Guerra tackles our twelve questions about Nightmare Pro Wrestling!



1. For the poor souls not already reading, please give a brief synopsis of your comic.

The comic is about pro wrestling monsters competing to become the NPW Champion. The main story line follows a young monster named Grave and his tag-team partner Lobo (a cowardly werewolf) as they have fun and hone their wrestling skills

2. What materials and/or software do you use?

I started out penciling the comic in sketchbooks but the last couple of years I've gone all digital just to save time. It's a lot faster and makes it easier to experiment. So now I draw everything first in Photoshop, Ink in Illustrator, and then do colors in a program called ArtRage.

3. Are there any books, movies, toys, artists, or authors that have inspired or continue to inspire your comic?

Classic Looney Tunes cartoons definitely inspire my comic, especially the Chuck Jones ones. I love the creativity and the fun atmosphere they are able to create in such short skits. As for artists I'd have to say Bill Wray, Jim Smith, and John K for the shapes in their character designs and Mike Mignola for atmosphere. French artists Fabian Mense, Bill Otomo, and Gobi have also had a big influence on my character designs and I'm amazed at how they're able to get so much action and movement into one panel. I also always go to directors Guillermo Del Toro and Hayao Miyazaki when I need a little creative boost.

4. Are any of your characters based on real people in your life?

Not really, though a lot of their motivations from personal experience (like Grave's love of pumpkin empanadas).

5. Are there any actors you know you would want to play or voice certain characters in a movie of your comic?

I wouldn't mind seeing it animated or having it animated through stop motion would be really cool. I never really thought of who would voice the characters if that happened but here's my dream cast. I say dream because I'm including dead people on this list. Grave: A young 'Back to the Future' Michael J. Fox. Lobo:Maybe Zach Braff? Grim: Christian Bale, the crazier the Bale the better. Dr. Nightmare: The great Vincent Price. Devastator Dragon: Let's go with Frank Welker doing something similar to the original Megatron voice. Dorian Morbid: Bela Lugosi. Victor Monstor: Boris Karloff, of course but he would have to speak spanish. The Beast: Peter Lorre. Britney Nightmare: Emma Watson. Luna: Emma Stone. Mr. Hyde: Lets get Robbie Coltrane.

6. What songs would you like in a soundtrack of your comic?

Hmmm...Probably a heavy mix of classic Halloween songs like Children's Day At The Morgue by Sheldon Allman, Jam at the Mortuary by Griz Green, and anything by Tarantula Ghoul. Along with a score by John Carpenter. I'd also throw in a few modern bands like The Birthday Massacre, Trust, and State of the Union.

7. What is your overall goal for your comic?

I want anybody to be able to drop in and have a spooky fun time in the NPW universe.

8. How has managing a comic impacted your life?

It's made me happy. It's the first time I have a job that I don't hate doing. I get up in early in the mornings excited to get to work. I think it's also helped me be more disciplined with my time. In order to get everything I need to and want to do I've learned to use my time wisely.

9. What do you do to advertise your work?

I go to a lot of conventions. I planning on going to even more next year. I also do my best to create a lot of content and post it on various social media outlets like Twitter, Deviantart, Tumblr, and Facebook.

10. Web comics can be very time consuming and sometimes expensive to keep up. Often there is little reward in regards to money and sometimes public attention. Why do you do it?

love doing do it. However, I don't pursue it selfishly. Family and friends stillcome first. What's the point of doing it if you don't have loved ones to share it with?

11. Got any other projects we should know about?

I've got a few other stories on the back burning but my projects are pretty much all about NPW. I'm working on making art prints of some of my favorite movies. Right now I'm finishing up a print based on The Cabin in the Woods movie. I've also been messing with doing some animation for NPW. Just trying out a few things in Adobe, nothing big...yet.

12. What advice would you give to aspiring creators?

Start now! The sooner you start the sooner you'll start growing as a creator. The best way to learn about something and get better at it is by doing it--so don't worry about if you're good at drawing, or if your story is good, or any of that. Just get started and learn as you go.





Awesome thanks Jon! Guillermo Del Toro and Hayao Miyazaki are definitely in my top ten favorite directors of all time!

If you dig Nightmare Pro Wrestling you can show your love by up-voting the submission for this interview at Reddit Webcomics. Up-voting keeps Nightmare Pro Wrestling on the front page of the webcomic category longer which means more people get to see it!

Thanks for reading! Let us know what ya' think with a comment below. Then elbow drop over to Nightmare Pro Wrestling to see who reigns supreme!

-Mat
evanyeti.com

If you would like to be interviewed about your web-comic send an email to evanyeti@yahoo.com titled "interview" with a link to your comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment