Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Web Artist Wednesday: The Graveyard Gang interview

What did kids do before video games? Annoy the creatures of darkness! Rich Clabaugh answers our twelve questions about creating his webcomic The Graveyard Gang!



1. For the poor souls not already reading, please give a brief synopsis of your comic.

THE GRAVEYARD GANG is about 5 rascals who annoy the creatures of darkness that seem to continually plague their coastal Massachusetts town. Oh and it takes place in the 1930s (I wanted a time where there were NO computers, video games TV, when kids played all day outside). It's kind of like if the LITTLE RASCALS, or OUR GANG as they were originally known, fought monsters, ghosts, witches and Lovecraftian menaces.

2. What materials and/or software do you use?

Well I draw the comic in pencil, scan, then do my inking and coloring in ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR.

3. Are there any books, movies, toys, artists, or authors that have inspired or continue to inspire your comic?

Yikes! There are so many!!! *L* I am in love with old comic strips especially MICKEY MOUSE, POPEYE, and WASH TUBBS. THE SPIRIT by WILL EISNER is also a HUGE influence, I love how he wrote those stories – He even had stories where the main character (The Spirit) wasn't even in it much at all! I also love Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's stuff, especially The FANTASTIC FOUR. I love they way they built an amazing supporting cast like the Inhumans, The Silver Surfer, and Black Panther. The first 12 issues of The Graveyard Gang will have me building my supporting cast for the Gang, I think it adds so much to the overall story. I could go on forever about influences!

4. Are any of your characters based on real people in your life?

Hmm, that's a tough one. I suppose the actual OUR GANG kids are in there a bit and I guess they have parts of me thrown in there too, heaven help them! *L*

5. Are there any actors you know you would want to play or voice certain characters in a movie of your comic?

Another toughie! I can only think of actors that are dead, like the kids from those OUR GANG, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello. Gee talk about living in the past! *L*

6. What songs would you like in a soundtrack of your comic?

Every time I listen to Vampire Weekend's Contra cd it reminds me of the Gang. They have a real different sound. Especially their Horchata track, the instrumentals are spot on for my Gang!

7. What is your overall goal for your comic?

To create a fun entertaining comic book that will be remembered long after I'm gone! I'm trying to write a story that all-ages can enjoy, that doesn't talk down to kids.

8. How has managing a comic impacted your life?

It's been scary! *L* I did my first issue a year ago, had it printed so I could trademark and copyright it. I had a great buffer when I launched in June but working/getting used to the website ate up a lot of my time (and buffer) so now I'm up against it so to speak! I'm going to try and stick to 2 longform comic pages a week as long as I can. I am getting faster, doing my backgrounds having been tripping me up this issue. But it's still so cool to see my stuff up there online! After years of my art being so private to have it out there and have people like it is amazing!

9. What do you do to advertise your work?

Using TWITTER and FACEBOOK mostly. I need to actually make some ads so I can try that too. I've had some fellow webcartoonists blog about me on their sites, which is super flattering and kind!

10. Web comics can be very time consuming and sometimes expensive to keep up. Often there is little reward in regards to money and sometimes public attention. Why do you do it?

I have SO MANY stories to tell I cannot wait to share them with readers. I still work a day job so I do get frustrated that I can't produce my stuff at a quicker pace. I have my main comic and there are some daily strip ideas I have (with various characters from my comic), there just isn't enough time in the day!

11. Got any other projects we should know about?

Well, I'd love to do some of those daily strips I just mentioned but for now I need to get used to doing my comic on a regular and timely basis.

12. What advice would you give to aspiring creators?

Draw every day, it's been said many times but it IS true! I draw on my train ride to my day job and I've honed my craft so much! Also, believe in yourself and your comic. I find most people don't ... unless/until you start making some bucks doing it.  





Thanks Rich! I was tempted to post page thirteen with the dead mouse but I'll let the readers find out for themselves :)

If you dig The Graveyard Gang you can show your love by up-voting the submission for this interview at Reddit Webcomics. Up-voting keeps The Graveyard Gang on the front page of the webcomic category longer which means more people get to see it!

Thanks again for reading. Let us know whatchya' think with a comment below. Then prepare to snoop and be spooked with The Graveyard Gang!

-Mat
evanyeti.com

If you would like to be interviewed about your web-comic send an email to evanyeti@yahoo.com titled "interview" with a link to your comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment